Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vegan Pate

You read that correctly.  Vegan Pate.  You know, it feels a bit weird to call anything that is vegan a pate, considering that a pate is typically some sort of pureed meat.  But I suppose if Boca can call their creations "burgers", then I can call this a pate.
This is one of my favorite recipes.  All of my kids love it.  We will often eat it with Totopos, Mexican style tortilla chips, and allow that to serve as the entire meal.  Besides being creamy and filling, it is packed with protein, fiber and vitamins -- the good ones from green veggies.  The adults with whom I have shared this dip comment that they do not miss the missing ingredients at all.  It can rival those gooey, cheesy artichoke or spinach dips at any party.
I like to serve this dip warm, but it is also good cold and refrigerates well for several days.
Vegan Pate
1/2 onion
2 c. green beans or 2 cups spinach, fresh or frozen (let frozen drain a bit once thawed)
1/2-1 T. olive oil (if you prefer less fat, use the former; if you could care less, use the latter and add a bit more)
1 small can or 1 3/4 c. cannelloni beans
1 T. dry parsley or 2-3 T. fresh parsley
pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon or 2 T. balsamic vinegar
1 t. garlic powder
1/4 c. walnuts
Saute onions in oil until they have browned a bit.  Add green beans or spinach and cook until green beans are tender or spinach is cooked through.  While the veggies are cooking,  put all other ingredients in a food processor.  Add the cooked veggies and puree.   Serve warm or cold with chips or crudite (cold vegetables).
I sure wish I knew how to add accents into my blog posting.  The above post would look much more French.

No comments:

Post a Comment