Monday, August 24, 2009

Figs! Glorious Figs!

I unapologetically call them sweet little balls of joy.  When figs first appear each August, I momentarily forgive them for the message they bring: that summer is coming to a close.  How could I stay angry at such a lovely little piece of fruit, with its figgy goodness all soft and sweet inside its perfect purple skin?  Alas, the fig is such a fleeting lover.  It arrives in late summer and only stays long enough for me to fall madly in love with it all over again before it leaves me, desperate and brokenhearted.
If you have never tried a fig before, I urge you to get some the next time you are at the grocery store or Farmers Market.  They are so lovely and delicate that you can't find them any other time of year.  They are lightly sweet, just enough to satisfy, almost like a large, creamy grape.  Oh dear...I hope the thought of a creamy grape doesn't turn people away from the fig.  It's the best I could do except to say that they are my favorite fruit and make me happy each August, even though I know summer is ending.  To inspire you, here is a recipe that showcases the fig's goodness.
I thought of this recipe because I was, believe it or not, craving a wilted steak salad.  I'd had one once, and only once, during my carnivorous era.  There was something special about the way the hot, juicy steak slightly wilted the cool, crunchy spinach.  My craving, I realized, had nothing to do with the actual steak and everything to do with hot and juicy against cool and crunchy (my goodness, this is a rather suggestive post all around).   A portabello mushroom replaces the steak beautifully in this recipe.  My eldest daughter, she who consumes copious amounts of meat, LOVES this salad.  It is also easy enough to prepare for a quick dinner and elegant enough to serve at a dinner party.
Wilted Fig Salad
(serves 4)
8 cups of spinach, washed, dried, and stems cut off
12 figs, stems removed and quartered
2 carrots, cut into thin slices or julienned
2 large onions, cut in half and then sliced fairly thinly
4 portabello mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
1-2 T. olive oil
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
1 t. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 more T. olive oil
To prepare the dressing, combine the vinegar, 1 T. olive oil, garlic powder, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.  Whisk.  Set aside.
To prepare the salad, heat 1-2 T. olive oil in a pan (depending on how big your mushrooms are).  Add onions and saute.  When the onions start to brown a little, add the mushroom slices.  Continue to saute until the mushrooms are cooked through.  Meanwhile, on each plate, place 2 c. spinach, 1/4 of the figs, and 1/4 of the carrot slices (You can also do this all in a bowl and toss it with the dressing, but I would be terrified that I might not get my equal share of figs).  When the onions and mushrooms are done, portion them out on top of the 4 salads.  Top with dressing and enjoy nice and hot.
I would have a nice picture of the salad, except it was gone too fast for anyone to think of taking out the camera and getting a photo.
Look at these beauties!


No comments:

Post a Comment