Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Vegan Fudge

If there is anything that can test my devotion to a vegan diet, it is Rachel Ray's 5 Minute Fudge.  It makes me all googely inside.  Furthermore, it is a Christmas staple in this household, perhaps the very catalyst for this website.
I should not even be attempting to make a vegan version of it.
You'll notice I wrote "vegan" version and not "sugar-free vegan" version.  That's just not possible at this point.  Perhaps by this time next year, I will have learned enough to concoct a sugar-free version.  For now, consider this a bit of a special treat.  It is the holiday season after all.  Enjoy a few bites and then run a mile, go on a salad fast, or just give yourself a little break.  My guess is that if you have been eating a sugar-free diet, a few bites will be plenty.  If it's not, slice it up and give it away.  Quickly!!!
This version might seem a bit labor intensive, but if you prepare ahead of time, it should not be too difficult to whip up.  I tend to cook by the seat of my pants.  My kitchen is small enough that I can continue stirring something in the pot while opening cupboards to extract the next needed ingredient.  On a good day, I can do all this while scrubbing the dishes and teaching my daughter to read.  My kitchen is just THAT small and I am just THAT incredible.
Since this  recipe involves a bit of the confectioner's touch, I didn't want to leave the timing up to chance.  So try and stick with the order I have given you here for a more pleasant culinary experience.  You want the fudge to feel love, not venom.  Venom does very little for fudge.
My Vegan version of Rachel Ray's Fudge
Start by making your sweet cashew cream.  I have adapted the recipe from an Oprah show, which I believe is a recipe that has been circulating in vegan circles for a while.  The recipe below yields about 4 cups.  You only need 2 1/4.  I made extra because tomorrow is Thanksgiving and we will use it to top the vegan, gluten-free pies my husband and son are making at this very moment. If you make the full recipe, it won't go to waste during the holiday season.  It replaces sweetened condensed milk or cream in recipes.
Sweet Cashew Cream
Note: this needs to be started 1 day ahead of time
Yields 4 c.
You will need 2 1/4 c. of the cream for the fudge
4 c. cashews
1/2 c. agave
water to cover
Rinse and just cover the cashews with water.  Cover the bowl and refrigerate over night.  When ready, rinse again.  Put in the blender, add agave and enough water to just cover.  Blend until nice and creamy.  Reserve 2 1/4 c. for your fudge and store the rest in the refrigerator.
Now measure out all the ingredients you will need for the rest of the fudge in separate bowls and place them on the counter near your stove.  Also put a large pot on the stove and get out a candy thermometer, wooden spoon, and spatula.  Next, grease 2 fudge receptacles with vegan spread.  I used an angel food pan and a small casserole dish.
Here is what you will need:
20 oz. Vegan Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life Brand)
2 1/4 c. sweet cashew cream plus 1/4 c. water to thin
Butterscotch (recipe below -- you need exactly that amount)
1 c. pecans
1 c. dried fruit of choice (we like cranberries)
Now, it is time to start the butterscotch.
Butterscotch
From this website, but converted to 1 1/2 recipes
3 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. water
6 T. vegan butter spread
3/2 t. vanilla
In your large pot, over low heat, melt the vegan spread.  Add the brown sugar and stir well.  Add water.  Invite someone interesting to come into the kitchen and have a long conversation with you.  If there are no interesting people around, invite a boring person to come and do the next part while you go chat with the interesting people or read a book.
Increase the heat to medium.  Stir constantly until the brew reaches between 250 and 265 degrees.  You can also put a little on a spoon and submerge it into some ice water.  If it turns slightly hard, it is ready.  It took me about 30 minutes (Thus the interesting conversationalist).
Now then, onto the fudge making portion.
Turn your butterscotch to medium-low.  Add cashew cream and water.  Stir well.  Slowly, while stirring, add the chocolate chips.  Stir until nicely melted and smooth (but thick).  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla.  Stir in nuts and fruit.
Pour into your fudge receptacles and let cool completely in refrigerator.  This could take a while.
Go for a run.
Photos to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment